Here is the recipe. Serves 6
Smoked Paprika adds a similar taste to bacon
- 1 1/2 cups haricot (Navy, Borlotti, or cannelini ) Beans or try a mix soaked overnight
- 1 (20ml) tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Brown Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked Paprika
- large Can 810g of Crushed tomatoes
- 250ml ( 1 cup ) Water
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) Molasses or Treacle actually I have seen some use maple syrup and plan to give that a try one day
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill or I added a teaspoon dried you can always adjust next time
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) worcestershire sauce
- Drain the soaked beans and replace with 2 litres of fresh water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer and par cook for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the Olive Oil in a pan and add Chopped Onion and Smoked Paprika. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, water molasses worcestershire sauce and dill and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Place the beans and tomato sauce in a slow cooker (crock pot) and cook overnight.
- Serve on toast :-)
Note: If you do not have a slow cooker cook in a covered casserole dish for 6 hours checking at regular intervals to ensure there is enough liquid to cover the beans.
There are other recipe variations on this site using different variations and different beans. Haven’t tried them yet but I do like adapting recipes. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/search.php?keywords=baked+beans&publication=
Let me know how you go. I like cooking my own as you cannot compare the difference in taste.
Have Fun :-) Cheers Lynne